When visiting a plastic surgeon for your initial consultation, it’s important to ask the right questions before any decision is made in regards to surgery. Sometimes, however, nerves set in while discussing procedure techniques and recovery times… and the excitement of after-surgery results can often cloud your judgement.
Preparing a list of questions before your consultation will ensure that you make the right decision and also show your surgeon that you are serious about your future procedure. The following questions were taken from The American Board of Plastic Surgery, where Dr. George Pope is an active member.
- Is the doctor Board Certified and is that specialty area appropriate to the procedure you are considering?
- What qualifications/training does the physician have to perform the procedure in question?
- How many of this type of procedure has he/she performed?
- How many of this type of procedure does he/she perform each year?
- If you are considering a new procedure, how did the doctor obtain training for this?
- Has the doctor had many problems or complications with this procedure?
- Do you feel comfortable with that doctor?
Of course, these questions are simply starting points to get you thinking about what you should ask your doctor during your consultation. Modify them according to your needs and based on what’s important to you when selecting a plastic surgeon.
These websites can also be helpful: American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS): www.plasticsurgery.org and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS): www.surgery.org.
We hope this helps you in your search. 🙂